Conversation: oral communication between persons

Yes, I had to look up the definition of conversation. Why? To show my dear husband.

We went on a "date" tonight, to go see a movie. He loves this type of date because he doesn't have to hold one of the aforementioned things. But we still have to drive there and back, so we either sit in silence for the 20 minutes it takes to get there, or I talk to myself.

I don't really talk to myself - at least he claims I don't. He listens (and selectively retains!), but I have to drag any type of response out of him. Unless of course I get lucky (not THAT type of lucky - get your mind out of the gutter!) and happen to broach a subject he has a keen interest in. Then he'll talk. But that doesn't happen often.

So tonight, we argued about the definition of conversation. He says we have one, because I'm talking. I say we don't, because there's no exchange of ideas or thoughts. So I promise to look it up when we get home. He was shocked that I did ( I don't know why, as I love to prove a point). He did like one of the definitions - if you want to know which one, go look here, and scroll down a bit. It won't take a rocket scientist to figure out which one he liked. He said we need to have more conversations. I wish he meant the definition in my title!

I wonder if it's a guy thing (like the inability for most men to multi-task), but then I think of the many men that can out talk most women. So nope, that's not an excuse. My husband is just an introvert, and it's something I must not of noticed when I married him. Either that or another attribute caused it to be overlooked...

Comments

Popular Posts