I wonder

If as humans, there always has to be a disaster that we "look forward to". I ran across this site today, and it reminds me of all the Y2K hubbub.

Yes, things are changing as prices for things go up, and the value of our dollar goes down. Do I think there won't be groceries in the store tomorrow? No, not unless a category 4 hurricane is headed straight towards us, and then it will only be for a few days.

It makes me wonder if we have a ingrained tendency to over think, and over plan things. And it's not limited to just a few people, obviously it's more than just that or there wouldn't be websites devoted to preparing for it (or Y2K). There is some religious/cultural influences for some people as well, but I think that's a separate issue than "the world running out of food".

Even if we DO start having shortages of food, I don't think it's going to be an all at once thing. There will be slow changes, and people will adapt to those changes. Look how we've adapted to the HUGE price increase in gas! People drive less, use their car and run errands more efficiently. Gas consumption is DOWN. Yes, the prices hurt some people. There will always be people that can't afford things. It's just the way life is unfortunately, and sometimes I'm one of them!

So, I won't be digging a basement (that would flood anyways) to store all my cans of freeze dried food (where else would I put enough food for 9+ - no, not pregnant yet - people?), or figure out if where I'm living will sustain us completely and go off grid and become completely self dependent. People NEED other people. It's just the way life is. And if I do become self sustaining on our own property, it's going to because I think it would be cool, not because I think the world is coming to an end!

Comments

Popular Posts