What do you want to be when you grow up?

I should be asking my kids that, not myself. Yet, here I sit, asking myself that very question. I'm not sure I'm ready to decide. There seems like there's so much to do before hand. Like raise 7 kids and get them out of the house.

On the other hand, there's no time like the present either. I don't want to be old and gray, and look back on my life and wonder what I did with it. Raising kids IS an accomplishment, and it's something I hope I will do well. But it's not all I want to do either. When they're grown, I don't want to be searching for myself. I want to already know who I am, and what I do.

Of course, when I think about making a career out of any of the things I like to do, I want to run away as fast as I can. I like sewing. But if I have too much paid work to do, I end up resenting it. I like taking pictures. I've taken pictures of two friends' kids (for fun), and it's not something I really enjoyed beyond having someone new in front of the camera. I want to take pictures that make me happy, and not worry about them making someone else happy.

Maybe I never will "grow up", or actually have a career. I like my hobbies, and they're for the most part self supporting (doing some paid sewing pays for new camera stuff as well as new sewing stuff). And I'm fine with keeping them as hobbies. It's more fun that way.

I think I'll hold off on an answer for a bit longer.

Comments

kimberly said…
you are never to old to grow up or to go to school....think of our own mother and father....they both went back to school after they had kids...mom was going to be the constant student but dad has made a very good life for himself....and remember that we will all love you no matter what you become when you grow up....

Popular Posts